By Claude Lecouteux
• unearths the therapeutic and magical virtues of commonly used gems, similar to amethyst, emerald, and diamond, in addition to the lore surrounding unique stones comparable to astrios, a stone celebrated by means of old magicians
• Examines bezoars (stones shaped in animals’ our bodies) and “magnets” that allure fabrics except steel
• according to historic Arabic, Greek, Jewish, and ecu assets, starting from the observations of Pliny the Elder to tremendous infrequent texts corresponding to the Picatrix and Damigeron’s Virtue of Stones
Our ancestors believed stones have been domestic to sacred beings of strength, entities that if competently understood and cultivated may supply humans safety from in poor health fortune, envy, and witchcraft; supply invisibility and different magical powers; enhance reminiscence; and heal the ill from a large choice of illnesses. those advantages should be acquired via donning the stone on a hoop, bracelet, or pendant; via therapeutic massage remedies with the stone; or by means of lowering the gem right into a powder and consuming it combined with water or wine.
Drawing from a wealth of historical Arabic, Greek, Jewish, and eu sources--from the observations of Pliny the Elder to super infrequent texts resembling the Picatrix and Damigeron’s Virtue of Stones--Claude Lecouteux presents a synthesis of all recognized lore for greater than 800 stones. He contains such universal examples because the emerald, which while engraved with the determine of a harpy maintaining a lamprey in its claws will banish panic and nightmares, and beryl, which whilst accurately carved can summon water spirits or win its proprietor excessive renown, in addition to extra unique stones equivalent to astrios, a stone celebrated by way of old magicians and whose heart glows like a celebrity. Lecouteux additionally examines bezoars--stones shaped in animals’ bodies--as good as “magnets” that allure fabrics except iron, equivalent to gold, flesh, cotton, or scorpions.
This accomplished dictionary of sacred and magical gem lore, drawn from the rarest resources of Antiquity and the center a while, represents a exceptional source for gem fans and magical practitioners alike.
Read Online or Download A Lapidary of Sacred Stones: Their Magical and Medicinal Powers Based on the Earliest Sources PDF
Similar folklore & mythology books
This ebook surveys the background of psychoanalytic remedies of myths variously as signs of psychopathology, as cultural safeguard mechanisms, and as metaphoric expressions of rules that can contain healing insights.
300 Jewish stories during this outstanding quantity span 3 continents and 4 millennia. Culled from conventional sources—the Bible, Talmud, Midrash, hasidic texts, and oral folklore—and retold in smooth English via Ellen Frankel, those tales symbolize the brightest jewels within the mammoth treasure chest of Jewish lore.
Limited by means of traditions proscribing their pursuits and speech, the Maithil girls of Nepal and India have lengthy explored person and collective existence studies by way of sharing tales with each other. occasionally fantastical, occasionally together with one of those magical realism, those stories permit ladies to construct group via a deeply own and consistently evolving storytelling shape.
The blind mendicant in Ukrainian people culture is a little-known social order, yet an immense one. The singers of Ukrainian epics, those minstrels have been prepared into specialist guilds that set criteria for education and function. Repressed throughout the Stalin period, this is often their story.
- Princess Peacock: Tales from the Other Peoples of China (World Folklore (Hardcover))
- Trickster: Myths from the Ahtna Indians of Alaska
- Passing It On: Folklore of St. Louis, 2nd Edition, Revised and Updated
- Missouri's Haunted Route 66: Ghosts along the Mother Road (Haunted America)
Extra resources for A Lapidary of Sacred Stones: Their Magical and Medicinal Powers Based on the Earliest Sources